Nantahala Gorge Excursion
This 4-hour westbound excursion carries you 44 miles to the Nantahala Gorge and back again. Travel the Little Tennessee and Nantahala Rivers across Fontana Lake and into the magic of the Nantahala Gorge. There is a one-hour layover at the Nantahala Outdoor Center for sightseeing, a picnic lunch by the river, and just plain relaxing.
Tuckasegee River Excursion
This 32-mile roundtrip excursion travels eastbound along the Tuckasegee River through old railroad towns and scenic meadows. The train ventures into the historic Cowee Tunnel before passing the movie The Fugitive train wreck. The approximate 4-hour trip includes a 1-hour layover in the town of Dillsboro. There’s time to shop, snack, and explore this charming country village.
Raft & Rail
Make the most of your Smoky Mountain experience and combine your train excursion with unforgettable river rafting. A fun-filled adventure for all ages, this trip is a favorite for first-timers and seasoned paddlers alike. Travel by rail 22 miles along the foothills of the Smokies and up the Nantahala River Gorge. At the top-of-the-line join your professional team of rafting guides for a 2-hour whitewater trip down the Nantahala River. Raft with a guide or on your own with guide assistance through eight miles of waves and swift currents.
Pricing & Schedule Information
The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad offers excursions year-round. Schedules and fares vary based on season and excursion. Call 800-872-4681 or visit www.gsmr.com for the most current information.
For the protection and safety of their employees, community, and you as guests, they are asking the following:
• Book your reservation online or over the phone before arriving on property.
• Follow CDC and State health and safety guidelines.
• Please wear a face covering while at the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad upon arriving in the parking lot and Bryson City Depot and throughout your experience.
• Practice social distancing.
• Gatherings/Congregating should not exceed the stated maximum amount for the area.
• Follow proper handwashing guidelines.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
• Stay home if you are ill or exhibiting symptoms of flu or COVID-19. They will work with you to cancel or reschedule your reservations without penalty when done in advance.
• Be courteous in enclosed spaces and walkways.
• Be prepared with cashless payment methods.
• Remain seated in your assigned passenger coach during your round trip.
• In open seating areas do not sit in non-designated seating. Non-designated seating will be noted by tape or signage.
• Plan ahead for lunch service by pre-booking one of their freshly prepared box picnic lunch options.
In addition, the operating schedule for the summer of 2020 has been altered, these changes can be found on our website. Guests who currently hold reservations for canceled trains or effected classes of seating will be notified with the option of seating change, rescheduling, or cancelation, they will continue waiving all fees. Guests may also call the reservations line at 1-800-872-4681 between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm EST or email email@example.com. Calls and emails will be answered in the order they are received.
Have kids? Receive one free standard seating Child’s ticket with every Adult standard ticket purchased with code KIDSRIDEFREE.